Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Stay-cation Day 2: What a Joy!


Hi! I'm Bianca a business finance major. Day 2 of alternative spring break stay-cation has been amazing. I have participated in so many service projects from scraping paint off a house to stuffing envelopes. MIFA is an incredible asset to the community. At their office, they welcomed us to help with everything. I also enjoyed their encouragement when we were prepping their walls for painting. Today I realized how much help a group can provide by doing small things. For instance, we washed lids for the meals on wheels coolers. Now someone will have an easier time delivering meals. The staff was especially nice to be around and constantly smiled. What a joy it was to help today.

The Memphis Rock and Soul Museum taught me something new about Memphis. When segregation was big in Memphis, the one thing that connected blacks and whites was music. Of all the years I have heard about the music in Memphis, I never realized what an impact it had on bringing different races together. To top off a great day, we had dinner at Trolley Stop Market. The food is splendid with a variety of sandwiches, wraps, and pizza. There is also a section with fresh produce and art work from the Memphis area. What a wonderful day of community service on spring break!

No comments:

Post a Comment