Friday, March 11, 2011

NOLA: Looking Back

During the interview process I was asked why I wanted to participate in ASB. I replied with, "It's an amazing opportunity in which I would get to step out of my comfort zone; meet new people; experience New Orleans; and help others." In reality I was incredibly fearful. What if I didn't enjoy my experience? The truth is, this has been one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The people I've met on this trip have made such an impact in my life. We've seen "the good, the bad, and the ugly" of New Orleans on a tour of the city. Being able to help people who have suffered such devastation that most have forgotten has been eye-opening. And I thought my life was bad... It's amazing to see how something as simple as painting a house can make such a difference in someone's life. Not only that, I feel I have made lifelong friendships with the people I was priviledged to share this experience with. Not friendship... family. I will forever cherish this.
-Victoria Gaines

No comments:

Post a Comment