Thursday, March 10, 2011

NOLA Day 3: Understanding

When I woke up this morning I was hopeful to begin the first day of volunteering. More than hopeful actually, I felt like today was going to be my first steps in making a change outside of my immediate community. Not even the torrential rain of the morning could dampen the conquering spirit of this volunteer. When we were sitting through orientation, it was hard to think of an assignment I would not enjoy doing. That was when we were told of an alternative morning group activity, an in-depth tour of the city and its communities. Initially, I expected the clichéd tourist exposure of New Orleans, but to my surprise our team leader introduced us to tragic truths that are more difficult to relate. My knowledge of the history and culture of this city didn’t even compare to the devastation and poverty that I saw, even five years after Katrina. Kona, our team leader, told us the stories of volunteers and community members who boldly faced government manipulation. We were even given a brief tour of the home of Mr. Green, a recipient of a Make It Right home, by the homeowner himself.
It was at this point where I wondered if going on the tour had truly been worth it. . . I had definitely appreciated all of the information I had learned, but I felt as though I was already behind in my volunteering efforts. A whole day’s worth of work spent in the plush comforts of a 15 passenger van. It took some serious reflection to realize that the situation had been beneficial. After seeing all of the destruction I was more motivated to volunteer then if I had done so blindly. When our group eventually made it to our first work site, I felt inspired to work to the best of my abilities. And I think the other University of Memphis students felt that way. There is no greater inspiration than exposure. And through that exposure I think I have much more respect towards this organization and others like it.

Daynica Harley

No comments:

Post a Comment