Friday, March 11, 2011

NOLA Day 4: Individual Dreams

Today was another great experience that adds to the motif of collective memories. This morning, we primed and put siding on a house that is on the verge of being taken from the owner. As we worked diligently, Anthony and I had a discussion about the mindset of our American society. Being in New Orleans physically creates a sense of urgency and reflection of situations. Yesterday when we visited Mr. Green in the Lower 9th Ward, Mr. Green told us, “Never say things are going slow, but gradual.” I took that to heart because in all honesty, I am a little scared about the next page in my life. But listening to Mr. Green, a feeling of realism took over my doubt and replaced it with spiritual security. As the pant brushes touched the house and nails entered its exterior, I thought about how grateful I should be because it could be worse. Some people have lost their chance, others are struggling to regain it, and there are those like me that are in training to take others out of the struggle. I cannot literally saved an individuals’ dream, but I can inspire them to live life away from mundane tendencies.

No comments:

Post a Comment